UTRGV Receives Funding for I-Corps Site

By:

UTRGV Receives Funding for I-Corps Site

NSF Innovations CorpsNational Science Foundation awards almost a half million dollars

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is the recipient of $499,985 in federal funding to establish an NSF Innovation Corps Site. The I-Corps site, funded by the National Science Foundation, will be in the university’s Center for Industrialization and Commercialization.

NSF I-Corps Sites are designed to foster local innovation and entrepreneurship, especially among minority and female students who are normally underrepresented in STEM fields.

The funding at UTRGV will connect students and faculty from STEM fields and the Robert C. Vackar College of Business and Entrepreneurship, giving the tools needed to transition technology concepts into the marketplace.

“Each day we see more and more technological advancements. We need South Texans to be a part of that innovation,” Congressman Vicente Gonzalez said. “This grant affords UTRGV students the chance to contribute and innovate, helping grow our region’s cross-border trade and commerce.”

“One of our core priorities is to conduct research that impacts the Rio Grande Valley and beyond, and this grant will allow us to work directly with the community to commercialize new innovations,” UTRGV President Guy Bailey said.

Effective Sept. 1, the grant will be active for five years, awarding approximately $100,000 each year. Laurie Simmons, CIC manager, will oversee the program.

Comments