The Texas Workforce Commission is accepting applications for Disaster Unemployment Assistance as a result of severe storms and flooding. Under Presidential Disaster Declaration (FEMA 4454-DR), workers who lost their jobs and self-employed individuals who have been unable to work due to damage sustained from flooding may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance benefits.
Individuals affected by the recent severe storms and flooding in Cameron, Hidalgo, and Willacy Counties can apply for benefits. Individuals should specify that their applications are related to the damage caused by severe storms and flooding.
DUA, which is an unemployment insurance benefit made available especially for victims of disaster, is available to individuals who:
- Have applied for and used all regular unemployment benefits from any state, or do not qualify for unemployment benefits
- Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment in the disaster area
- Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster
- Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income
- Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster
- Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household
To receive DUA benefits, all required documentation must be submitted within 21 days from the day the DUA application is filed. Required documentation includes Social Security number, a copy of the most recent federal income tax form, check stubs, and/or documentation to support that you were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred. Applicants must mail in or fax all required documentation to Texas Workforce Commission, P.O. Box 149137, Austin, TX, 78714-9137. Applications may also be sent via fax to 512-936-3250.
Applications for DUA must be submitted by Aug. 18 and can be done online via Unemployment Benefit Services. Applicants may also call a TWC Tele-Center Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 800-939-6631.