STC First In Nation To Offer RN Apprenticeship

By:

STC First In Nation To Offer RN Apprenticeship

STC RN Apprenticeship Program AnnouncementIn a historic moment for South Texas College, the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship, in collaboration with the Texas Workforce Commission, recently announced that the college is the first in the nation to be approved to implement a newly formed Registered Apprenticeship Program in the occupation of Registered Nurse.

“This heralds a new era in nursing education and solidifies STC’s standing as a state and national leader in apprenticeship programs,” said STC President Ricardo J. Solis. “This will open a new pathway for our Associate Degree Nursing students as they pursue this honorable and in-demand career.”

Paid Training For The Future

This apprenticeship program is a brand-new, earn-while-you-learn model that took careful designing and approvals, from a collective group of educators and state elected officials, including the Board of Nursing. It now is a model that nursing programs nationwide can replicate.

“I want to express my deepest gratitude to all those involved in making South Texas College the first institution in the nation to offer a registered apprenticeship program in the occupation of register nurse,” said STC Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Economic Development Rodney Rodriguez. “This is a significant precedent that will change the landscape of nursing education and inspire other institutions across the nation.”

Through this nursing apprenticeship program, students pursuing an associate degree in nursing will have access to paid training through STC’s partnerships with numerous local hospitals, the first apprenticeship employer being DHR Health.

DHR was the only health care provider to sign the Employer Acceptance Agreement within the tight deadline STC had to submit the application to the U.S. Department of Labor.

“Through our partnership with STC, we are creating a Registered Nurse Apprenticeship Program that bridges the gap between education and real-work experience. DHR Health believes that investing in the next generation of healthcare professionals is our responsibility. As the sole health system in the country collaborating to offer such an educational opportunity, together with STC, we will provide nursing students hands-on training, job placement and guidance from our experienced health care team. The nursing students will complete the program ready to deliver exceptional nursing care to the community we serve,” said DHR Health Chief Executive Officer Manish Singh.

By The Numbers

Set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor, pay for STC registered nursing students will not be less than $14 an hour, with incremental increases every semester.

In addition, students will also have access to grants that will cover tuition and offset other costs and expenses.

“For many of our students it’s education vs. supporting the family, and the latter wins every time, but this apprenticeship program will be the financial assistance they need for their future,” said Dean of Industrial Training and Economic Development Carlos Margo. “We will also have a great influence on the workplace through this innovative learning initiative. We go above and beyond to ensure that every program we offer is a solution to a complex world of industries.”

It is a time when the nursing shortage is increasing statewide and nationally. The Rio Grande Valley stands, through 2032, as a medically underserved region with the greatest need for nurses, according to Valerio.

“This is a major solution to the nursing shortage,” said Dean of Nursing and Allied Health Jayson Valerio. “Our students, or apprentices, will get placed in a hospital, get assigned a preceptor who will mentor them through the entirety of the program and will be a guaranteed job for our student. And because the student will be acclimated to that hospital setting, it will minimize the training period. They’ll be ready to hit the ground running. This really is a win-win for everyone involved.”

STC’s nursing program is already the No. 1 producer of nurses among community colleges across the state and No. 2 among universities.

A Game-Changing Model

Overall, the nurse apprenticeship will produce a highly skilled workforce, reduce turnover and increase productivity, and former Texas Workforce Commission Commissioner Representing Labor and U.S. Department of Labor Ambassador to Apprenticeship and now Vice President and Director of Business Development for Lone Star National Bank Julian Alvarez, who spearheaded the creation of this program, calls this a gamechanger.

“Knowing this will soon be a national model, makes this one of our greatest accomplishments ever experienced,” said Alvarez. “The creation of this comes from a collective effort of people across the state, and I’m grateful that during my time as a commissioner, we had the support of Texas Governor Greg Abbot, among many other officials, including my team, to make this possible. I can’t stress the importance of an education enough. And I’m excited that this is starting at STC, in my hometown of the Rio Grande Valley. Our students don’t have to think twice about getting an education.”

Valerio calls this a proud moment for STC and a milestone for nursing education in the United States.

“This momentous achievement is a testament to our talented teams’ collective efforts and determination. From conceptualization to implementation, everyone has played an essential role in making this groundbreaking program a reality,” said Valerio. “Our dedication to nurturing the next generation of health care professionals is undoubtingly commendable and will inspire other institutions across the nation.”

This Nurse Apprenticeship program could begin as early as this fall with the first cohort of 20 students.

Comments