STC Receives Veterans Excellence Award

By:

STC Receives Veterans Excellence Award

South Texas College is a recent recipient of a 2022 Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Gold Award.
South Texas College is a recent recipient of a 2022 Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Gold Award.

South Texas College was recently honored with a 2022 Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Gold Award by the Texas Veterans Commission’s Veterans Education Program. STC is the only college in the Rio Grande Valley to receive this highest distinction.

According to a press release from Governor Greg Abbott’s office, the award recognizes universities and colleges for providing excellence in education and related services that significantly contribute to the academic success of student veterans and military-connected students.

“Here at STC we are committed to providing the resources our veteran students, active military, reservists and their families need to achieve academic success,” said STC President Ricardo J. Solis. “Just as they have ensured our country’s safety and freedom, we are here to ensure that they meet their educational goals.”

Abbott applauded STC and the other 16 Texas colleges and universities for their effort and support of student veterans categorized as Gold, Silver or Bronze Awards.

“Texas colleges and universities across the state have dedicated world-class resources and educators to support our brave veterans as they pursue opportunities in higher education,” said Abbott. “I applaud these institutions for their efforts to provide wide-ranging services for student veterans and military-connected students, including housing, support and career services, mental health and disability services and more. The state of Texas thanks our veterans for their service and will continue supporting their success to build brighter futures.”

A Commitment to Veteran Students

Earlier this year, STC also received the Military Friendly Gold 2022 Award, in addition to the Military Friendly Spouse Award. The college has received this recognition for six consecutive years.

STC Coordinator of Veteran Recruitment and Engagement Javier Guajardo said the recognitions STC is receiving on behalf of its veteran student services, is a testament to the staff that ensure these students and their families achieve academic excellence.

“Veterans and their families can have confidence when attending STC knowing that we have experienced staff that are committed to seeing that they have a smooth transition and are successful in their pursuit of a career,” said Guajardo. “Here at STC, veteran students and their families have numerous resources and a supportive team rallying behind them. They are not alone in their pursuit of a higher education.”

STC student and veteran dependent Javia Cerda said STC’s Office of Student Veterans Affairs rightfully deserves the recognitions it has received. For her, the resources have helped her create a pathway to a successful college experience.

The 21-year-old, whose father served 10 years in the U.S. Army, expects to graduate this summer with her bachelor’s degree in Organizational Leadership. She received her associate degree in Psychology last summer from the college.

“STC’s Veterans Affairs office has helped me keep everything together,” said the Mission native. “They help me complete my paperwork for benefits, remind me of important deadlines and serves as guides and mentors for my journey here at STC and through life.”

She added that everyone at the center has created a bond and have become family, and she is thankful for everything, including helping her get a work study position at the office, making her college experience come full circle.

“I’m now one of the people helping veterans and their dependents with the process, it’s amazing; it’s my way of giving back,” she said. “I’m proud to be a part of a group whose efforts are being recognized statewide. What an honor.”

Comments