TSC, BISD, SpaceX Give Students A Rare Look

By:

TSC, BISD, SpaceX Give Students A Rare Look

TSC’s 21st Century Community Learning Centers middle and high school students from Brownsville Independent School District tour SpaceX as a way to expose students to STEM careers in the region. (photo TSC)
TSC’s 21st Century Community Learning Centers middle and high school students from Brownsville Independent School District tour SpaceX as a way to expose students to STEM careers in the region. (photo TSC)

Brownsville Independent School District students from the Texas Southmost College Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Centers recently had the rare opportunity of touring SpaceX and its Starbase launch site. 

SpaceX hosted nearly 100 students during a pair of one and half hour tours through their center. Hopes of the visit are to increase career and job opportunity awareness in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields. 

The tours were organized by TSC’s Director of Instructional Projects Prisci Tipton. Students from 10 Brownsville middle and early college high school campus 21st Century TSC sites were in attendance.

“Our students need and deserve to have access to opportunities like this,” said Tipton. “STEM fields are the present and the future. Tours like this are our way of exposing them to the possible, high-paying careers available to them right here in Brownsville and beyond.”

Tipton added that most of the students participating in the SpaceX tours are STEM and Career and Technology Education students. They are active in clubs such as robotics, mathematics, algebra, coding and programming. 

“Our goal with the 21st Century program is to help produce high school graduates who are college and career ready,” said Tipton. “What 21st Century does is offer programming and resources that align with state education agency standards, encourage interest in college and plant the seed of success so students realize that anything is possible.”

Eye Opening And A Dream Come True

Armando Duran is a 12th grader at Rivera Early College High School. This experience for the 17 year old was an eye-opener for what comes next as a college student next fall. 

“A tour like this gives us, me, a chance to see the possibilities that are out there, in our own backyard,” said Duran. “Touring SpaceX is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and I never thought I would have the opportunity.” 

This tour is a dream come true for the aspiring computer engineer. 

“I’m inspired more than ever to pursue a career in engineering,” said Duran. “Thank you to BISD, the 21st Century program and TSC for giving us this rare learning experience. If all goes well, I can see myself working here within the next few years.” 

Pace Early College High School senior Tashareney Baez agrees that the SpaceX tour has opened a new world of opportunities. She said the program has given her the chance to explore education and career pathways since middle school. 

“I have been active with 21st Century for at least eight years, helping me discover and grow my love for everything engineering,” said Baez. “Being at SpaceX just helped me solidify and realize that my goals are obtainable right here close to home.” 

A Partnership To Change Lives

Tipton said she hopes that the partnership between TSC and SpaceX continues to flourish, so that more of TSC’s 21st Century students can have the opportunity to explore what it has to offer.

Rivera Early College High School Principal Norma Canales agrees that the partnership and the tours will change lives. 

“BISD and TSC’s 21st Century grant has provided an excellent portal to the future for our students opportunities by exposing them to wonderful experiences,” she said. “A prime example is visiting SpaceX. Our students are afforded a front row seat of what our community offers and what will help them in their future. The jobs that SpaceX has available for those who exhibit hard work and dedication to their studies are many. The world and galaxy are at their fingertips.”

To learn more about TSC’s Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Centers, call your child’s middle school or high school 21st Century site coordinator.

Comments