TSC Offers New Substitute Teacher Course

By:

TSC Offers New Substitute Teacher Course

At the request of local superintendents, Texas Southmost College is now offering a Substitute Teacher course.

The 12-hour course, introduced by TSC’s Workforce Training and Continuing Education department, is designed to produce well-trained and prepared substitutes to enter the classroom.

Workforce Training and Continuing Education Executive Director Bervick Simon said TSC has worked closely with local school districts to identify the skills needed to be a qualified substitute teacher.

“Substitute teachers have always had a place in our schools, and now more so than ever,” said Bervick. “This course we’re introducing is going to produce well-trained substitutes and keep students in the classroom.”

Learning To Teach

Through this course, aspiring substitute teachers will explore the roles of a substitute and learn about classroom management. They will also address how to continue fostering student growth and development.

TSC Substitute Teaching course trainer Timothy Cuff has been an educator for more than 40 years. He is also currently the principal of Sharp Elementary School in Brownsville. His past positions range from classroom teacher to superintendent, thus making him familiar with the needs for substitutes. He says TSC’s program is going to make a difference.

“This program is well thought out and holds a lot of merit, and I’m so excited to be a part of it,” said Cuff. “This is a worthwhile experience that is going to make a difference for our school districts and our students.”

Cuff said his goal as the course’s trainer is to create well-rounded substitutes who will have confidence in their abilities. They will be able to enter a classroom and take charge.

“In addition to learning processes and methods and the do’s and don’ts of a classroom, I also want to give students the opportunity to practice what they learn with some hands-on training,” said Cuff. “I will touch on every angle to ensure they are well prepared and ready.”

Parts of Cuff’s plan for the program is to implement scenario-based training. Here, students can role play situations they may face in the classroom.

Charting A Possible Alternate Course

Substitute teachers make anywhere from $80 – $150 a day. Simon said the hope for those who complete this program is that they will matriculate into TSC’s teaching programs if they have an interest in a career in education.

“This program is also going to serve as an introduction to education for those aspiring to be educators,” he said. “This will broaden horizons and create momentum, and in the long run will create careers. We have been fortunate to have support from our Board of Trustees and college leadership for this program and I can see it growing and producing positive changes.”

There are scholarships available for those who qualify.

For more information or to enroll, call 956-295-3724 or email wtce@tsc.edu

Comments