Play stations at various McAllen city parks due to a phased reopening. While trails and open spaces at McAllen parks had been available to the community, the play stations had been closed to the public since mid-March 2020. Currently, 14 of the 86 parks are now available for play.
“We are excited to be able to slowly reopen the parks’ play stations to the public, especially the children, who over the months had petitioned various municipal governments to open the facilities,” said McAllen City Manager Roel “Roy” Rodriguez. “While it was something that we wanted to do, we wanted to make sure that we did it right for the health and safety of our community and our employees.”
Park play stations will be sanitized once a day and signage for self-care. Self-regulated social distancing are at those parks open to the community. McAllen city officials still stress that personal responsibility is key. They encourage families who go out to play to wear masks. They may also consider bringing their own hand sanitizer and/or cleaning products to disinfect hands, and wipe down the structures either before or afterwards.
With 110 total play stations throughout the parks, it is a measured approach to reopen all facilities safely for the enjoyment of the community.
“Parks were meant to be full of the sounds and sights of kids playing, laughing and enjoying outdoors,” said Mike Hernandez, director of McAllen Parks & Recreation. “As we slowly return to normalcy, after an unprecedented year with so many things closed or canceled, it is wonderful to know that our parks will be parks again.”
Play structures are now open at the following parks:
- Airport Park, 2201 South 26th Street, Dist. 4
- Bill Schupp Park, 1300 Zinnia Ave., Dist. 1
- Crockett Park, 2112 North Main Street, Dist. 5
- Crossings Park, 2601 Arroyo Ave., Dist. 1
- Curtis Park, 301 East Hackberry Ave., Dist. 6
- Daffodil Park, 4200 West Daffodil Ave., Dist. 2
- Firemen’s Park, 201 North First Street, Dist. 6
- Lark Park, 2601 Lark Ave., Dist. 2
- La Vista Park, 100 West La Vista Ave., Dist. 6
- Lions Park, 1201 North 12th Street, Dist. 5
- Municipal Park, 1921 North Bicentennial Blvd., Dist. 5
- Palm View Park, 401 Jordan Road, Dist. 4
- Summer Breeze park, 401 North Bentsen Road, Dist. 3
- Zinnia Park, 5201 North 29th Street, Dist. 2