Art Association Recognizes TSC Instructor

By:

Art Association Recognizes TSC Instructor

Robert AndesTexas Southmost College Instructor of Fine Arts Robert Andes recently earned a third-place recognition for his painting Santa Fe Woman at the Texas Association of School of Art Artovation 2020: A virtual exhibition of the Art of Texas.

The painting was part of the online exhibit and contest and is based on a photograph Andes took during a trip to Santa Fe, NM. 

“It was exciting to learn I had placed,” he said. “I was up against some accomplished artists from across the state. Through it all, I remained hopeful.”

He learned about his win during the organization’s annual virtual conference, “Innovation through Uncertainty.” The exhibit was open to all participating TASA art professionals and faculty members. It was TSC Dean of Humanities Brian McCormack who encouraged Andes to make a submission.

“It’s been a while since I’ve participated in a contest or exhibit,” said Andes. “Without Dr. McCormack’s encouragement, I would have never considered entering.”

McCormack said he is proud of Andes, but not really surprised on his accomplishment. Andes teaches painting, design, drawing, art appreciation and art history at TSC.

“Mr. Andes’ award is testament to the amazing work and accomplishments of our TSC Art faculty and students,” said McCormack. “He is a highly-talented artist and his accomplishments in and outside of the classroom are a tremendous inspiration for our students.”

With his main focus on teaching, Andes takes advantage of his breaks from the classroom to complete art projects.

“In addition to teaching a new generation of artists and sharing my knowledge and perspective, my goal is to become active in the art scene again,” he said. “I want to travel more to gain inspiration and participate in contests and exhibits. Winning this award has made me realize I’m ready to do more.” 

Comments